William Mullins


BIRTH:  About 1572 at Dorking, co. Surrey, England, son of John and Joan (Bridger) Mullins.
MARRIAGE:  Alice, probably about 1600, likely in co. Surrey, England.
CHILDREN:  William, Sarah, Priscilla, and Joseph.
DEATH:  21 February 1620/1 at Plymouth.

William Mullins was born about 1572 to John and Joan (Bridger) Mullins of Dorking, Surrey, England. He married a woman named Alice, but her maiden name has not been identified. Longstanding claims that her maiden name is Atwood, or Poretiers, are without basis.  Recent research in Dorking records has suggested that Alice is more likely to have come from the Browne, Gardinar, Dendy, Hammon or Wood families, perhaps even related to Mayflower passenger Peter Browne who also came from Dorking.

William brought his wife Alice and children Priscilla and Joseph on the Mayflower; he also brought over 250 shoes and 13 pairs of boots, his profession being a shoemaker. He died on 21 February 1620/1, during the first winter at Plymouth, as did his wife and son Joseph as well. His original will has survived, written down by John Carver the day of Mullins' death. In it he mentions his wife Alice, children Priscilla and Joseph, and his children back in Dorking, William Mullins and Sarah Blunden. He also mentions a Goodman Woods (likely a reference to the Wood family in Dorking), and a Master Williamson, who have not been identified. It was witnessed by the Mayflower's captain Christopher Jones, the Mayflower's surgeon Giles Heale, and Plymouth's governor John Carver.

The 1621 will of William Mullins.  This is the only surviving will from someone who died the first winter at Plymouth.  It was sailed back to England in April 1621 onboard the Mayflower.  The will was witnessed by Governor John Carver, Mayflower master Christopher Jones, and ship's surgeon Giles Heale.

Wall mural of a horse, found inside William Mullins house in Dorking, co. Surrey, England.

Photos from slideshow:

  • The four-unit William Mullins house in Dorking, Surrey, England, consisting of four street-front shops.  The house was originally built in 1590 by the Sheffield family, and purchased in 1612 by William Mullins.  He lived there until 1619, when he sold it to Ephraim Bothell.
  • The parish church at Dorking, Surrey, just a few minute walk from Mullins' house.
  • The residential backside of the Mullins house.
  • Caleb Johnson inside one of the residential units of the Mullins house, where renovations in 2011 uncovered a rare instance of wall art dating to about 1590-1610.  This horse would have been present when the Mullins family was living there.
  • A view out the residential windows of the Mullins house out onto the street.